Tuesday 28 October 2014

Lauren inspired to make a difference

We encourage our students to gain as much work experience as possible during the course of their studies.

Lauren Shrewsbury took this advice on board and, in conjunction with a volunteering role, is now in the process of developing the provision of a brand new sport at UCLan.

A second year module - Sociological Issues in Disability Sport - inspired Lauren to secure a voluntary position with British Wheelchair Basketball.

She said: "I took on the job at the start of my final year and I've already met so many amazing individuals.

"My role is to develop a Wheelchair Basketball club at the University and make people aware of what an amazing and inclusive sport it is.

"I hope throughout the year I can make a difference and successfully develop one of the only disability sports clubs at UCLan."

Lauren also undertook a placement at a primary school during her second year – something she hopes will help her into a career as a Teacher.

"This was challenging and exciting for me as I'd never had to teach such a young age group before," said Lauren. "However, I thoroughly enjoyed myself and the placement helped me realise I wanted to seek a career in Primary Education.

"I've gained a wealth of knowledge and experience during my time at UCLan. I have completed such a varied amount of modules and topics that my understanding of sport in a social and global context has grown from strength to strength.

"I've had such an amazing time over the past few years – meeting some amazing people and making lifelong friends. My lecturers have always provided exceptional knowledge, guidance and advice and have been the most supportive individuals throughout my University experience.

"My ethos throughout my time at UCLan has always been to get involved in everything and make the most of the resources and facilities this University has to offer."

No comments:

Post a Comment